This morning council voted to approve a $15 million rental assistance program with funds from the CARES Act aimed to help Houstonians who have fallen behind on rent payments in April and May during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The program will be run by local non-profit Baker Ripley, who will provide up to $1,056 of rental assistance per month to qualified low-to-moderate income individuals who are delinquent on their monthly rental payment for April and/or May.
Landlords may begin applying to participate online Thursday, May 7, through BakerRipley, and residents can begin applying for relief Wednesday, May 13. The funds will be disbursed on a first-come, first-served basis.
TO APPLY PLEASE VISIT: www.HoustonRentAssistance.org
Landlords of qualified tenants who elect to participate in this program will directly receive up to $1,056 per month to offset qualifying rent obligations for April and/or May. Landlords who participate in the program will agree to the following:
- Waive all late fees, penalties, and interest for the two months
- Allow tenants to enter a payment plan for any rent due in excess of $1,056
- Rescind any prior notice to vacate and halt any prior eviction proceedings for the two months (Reminder: The Texas Supreme Court has put a temporary hold on all evictions until May 18)
In order to qualify, tenants must:
- Be the tenant of a landlord who has elected to participate in the program
- Reside inside the City of Houston
- Be late on residential rental payments for either or both of the two months
- Be current on their rent for all months prior to April 2020
- Affirm that their inability to pay is due to financial hardship resulting from the economic impact of COVID-19
- Have income less than 80% of the Area Median Income or qualify for one of the qualifying programs listed in the application (e.g., Medicaid, WIC, SNAP, Head Start, VA Pension)
- Cannot be an applicant, participant on or received assistance for the April and/or May 2020 rent though the City’s Hurricane Harvey Assistance Program
Please notify anyone you believe is in need of rental assistance and pass this information along.
Together we will!