The Southwest Management District (SWMD) was created by the Texas legislature in 2005. The District covers approximately 10 square miles and is bounded by Beltway 8 on the west, the Hillcroft on the east, Westpark tollway on the north and Bissonnet / Hwy 59 to the south. The District is completely in Houston and Harris County. Our Management District is empowered to finance projects related to Public Safety, Mobility and Transportation, Environmental and Urban Design, and Business Development.
The District provides programs and services in accordance with its Service Plan, adopted in June of 2005, and supplemental to those services offered by the City of Houston and Harris County. The services are funded through a 8 cent per hundred-dollar property value assessment on commercial properties, including apartments. No residential or exempt property is assessed. An 9-member, all volunteer, board of directors, consisting of area commercial property owners, governs the district. The members are appointed and approved by Houston City Council.
Southwest Management District Mission Statement
To establish and implement projects and programs to:
- Enhance and promote the image of the District;
- Create a desirable area to attract more businesses, investments, and residents;
- Provide services and information that will stimulate business growth in the District;
- Provide for easy access to, from, and through the District;
- Create a safe environment for businesses and residents in the District in order to increase revitalization, and spur redevelopment of this mixed neighborhood for all property owners, residents, and tenants.