Many restaurants and other businesses are re-opening after the initial stages of the coronavirus pandemic, bringing customers and traffic back into our Houston-area neighborhoods. This is a welcome change to most people. Unfortunately it also presents scattered opportunities for isolated criminal acts.
Business owners, workers and customers can help keep a lid on crime by reviewing these safety tips.
- Be aware of your surroundings in parking lots and other busy areas.
- To prevent vehicle burglaries, keep parked vehicles locked and remove valuable items — such as purses, wallets, backpacks, laptop computers, cell phones, other electronics — from sight.
- Secure cash, checks and credit cards while inside businesses and while walking outdoors.
- Call 9-1-1 if you see suspicious activity that may be related to a crime that may happen or may have already happened. Follow the slogan, “If you see something, say something.”
- Review the Houston Police Department safety videos below. They are in English with subtitles in traditional Chinese characters:
- Police and Community Interaction 警察與社區的互動 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnz9Jpj34Ko
- Feet on the Street – Senior Citizen Awareness 防止詐騙–老年人需注意事項 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL8hUv6TPK8
- Preventing Motor Vehicle Burglaries 防止車內盜竊 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCMCeuEb5cM
- Preventing Purse Thefts 防止手提包盜竊 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8sv3jY9OiU